Follow Me on Pinterest

Wednesday, April 20, 2011

The Quaint Little Town of

Bound Brook.

In honor of the letter Q, I bring you a story that has stuck in my head since it happened.

Late summer of 1999, New Jersey was suffering from it's worst drought in 30-40 years.  Then we got hit with what was left over of Hurricane Floyd.  While we did not experience full hurricane force winds or even really that bad of a storm, it did a lot of damage due to flooding because the ground was so dry it could not absorb the water fast enough.  The town of Bound Brook was basically under water.  

It made the national news and it was a very sad story.  Some people lost everything.

But I will never forget when I heard the news reporter say  "the quaint little town of Bound Brook."  

I remember thinking "are you kidding me?"

Bound Brook has/had more bars & strip clubs per mile then any other town in NJ, probably in the country!  There are industrial and commercial buildings all over the town.  If you looked up the definition of quaint in the dictionary, Bound Brook would come up as the direct opposite of quaint.

New Hope, now that's a quaint town.  As is Cape May.  But Bound Brook.  Umm No.

BTW as I was looking around for other people's stories about Bound Brook, I came across this one, it's got some great pictures of the flooding from Floyd if you want to see.

1 comment:

  1. Good read and aint it strange how things are timed in a fashion in which certain acts by mothernature appear to be well planned out?, ie. drought/Floyd/floodwaters? Something about seeing a floating crapper just disturbs me. :o|

    ReplyDelete