Follow Me on Pinterest

Saturday, April 30, 2011

Z is for Zoo

ahhh it's April 30th and today's letter is Z.  It's end of the road for my A to Z blogging challenge.  I'm going to miss it, I really enjoyed it.

But before we say goodbye to this journey, I'm going to take you on a tour of some Zoos of New Jersey.

First stop is the Popcorn Zoo

The Popcorn Zoo is more then just a zoo, it's a rescue zoo.  That means most of the animals were someone's pet and they were rescued.  Some were wildlife that needed help.  Located in Forked River (pronounced fork-ed - two syllables) NJ, visiting the Popcorn Zoo is a great way to spend some time. 

And there is a shelter on premise with dogs & cats an other animals up for adoption.

Here are some pictures of the rescued animals I took during one trip or another.




Leaving the Popcorn Zoo, we head even further south and hit the Cape May Zoo.  This is probably the best zoo in the world.  Not because it's got the best animals in the world, but because it is a free zoo.  They ask for a donation, and you should donate, but it is not mandatory. 

It's ALLLLL the way down at the southern end of the parkway.  Down where the parkway has traffic lights.  Until I was in my late 20's I had NO idea the Garden State Parkway had traffic lights until I went down to Cape May!

Hey there is a link to the zoo map!

Here are some pictures that I took at the Cape May Zoo in November of 2008.



Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket
Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket
Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket
Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket


There are a TON of more animals then I have posted here, like zebra & gi-raffs.  This is just a small sample.


If we head all the way up to North Jersey (Essex County), we can visit the Turtle Back Zoo.  Even though I've been there a ton of times, I don't appear to have any pictures on my computer. I probably have real printed pictures, in a box, somewhere..  LOL  I do have this one.  This is my now 12 yo son when he was just a little over 2.


There is one last zoo I'd like to mention, even though I don't have any pictures of it.  It is the teeny tiny zoo in Johnson Park, in Piscataway - where I grew up.  This park get honorable mention because of a bear they used to have there.  His name was Monty and I remember him because the sign in his cage said he was born in the winter of 1969, and so was I.  Monty passed away a few years ago, but I'll always have fond memories of Johnson Park & Monty the bear. 

Just like I'll have fond memories of being a part of this challenge! 


I love this award.


2 comments:

  1. I didn't want to add this to the blog entry I already did, but NJ also has a Wolf Preserve all the way up off Route 80. We tried to go there a while back, but we didn't realize that an ice storm had hit up there and the parking lot was an ice skating rink. We will go back up there one day & hopefully get to see the wolves.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kudos to you for meeting the A to Z challenge!! My hats off to ya!. Here in this post is yet another wonderful reason to visit NJ. What a cool post and not one fell short of a very good and cool read!! Thanks so much for sharing and once again Congrats!!

    ReplyDelete