Follow Me on Pinterest

Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Quitting Smoking - Days 1 & 2

I decided last week that I was going to quit smoking on 7/5/11.  I had a party to go to on 7/3 and I figured I'd smoke whatever I had left over on Monday and then be done with it. 

So at 11:55pm 7/4/11 I lit my last cigarette.

Here it is 33 hours later & I haven't hurt anyone, yet.  There are a few people who thankfully don't live close enough for me to go over to their house and smack them.

But I haven't really left the house either LOL

I started smoking in 1983 at 13 years old.  I smoked pretty regularly until October 1994 when I quit for the first time after my mother died of lung cancer. 

Yep, family history of lung cancer.  Killed my mother's mom too. 

Like the target on my lungs?

But did that stop me from picking it back up a few years later.  NOPE I'm invincible (ie stupid). 

My one brother is even worse.  After years of telling me I'm a loser for smoking, he started smoking regularly at 37 years old. Several years AFTER our mother died of lung cancer.

From 1996 on I would smoke for a few years and quit for a few years.  This last time I think I've been smoking for about 3 years.  So last Tuesday when I was at the beach for sunrise, I decided enough is enough and that I would quit on 7/4.

And I did. 

I told my children and husband that I am going to try my hardest to quit, but that I may back slide on occasion.  I asked them to give me some patience while I go through withdrawal of the nicotine and let me tell you, they've been awesome and very supportive!

Wish everyone else could be as well.  But leopards don't change their spots, even if you need them too. 


4 comments:

  1. I'm sooo very pround of my cousin Suzie.. It took me 7x before it took.. and I too got the comments.. one from someone very dear to me when I told her I was quitting.. her response? "Again?". I will never forget that comment. I've been smoke free for almost 10 years.. will be 10 years on 12/1/11. I know you can do it Suzie.. Because I did. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations for doing the first step. I may not be able to relate much because I was never attracted to smoking. Don't get me wrong, I have friends who smoke and my dad is a smoker too. But like anything else, there's a reason why we do what we do. Check what are the reasons/situations that trigger you to light a cigarette --- bored, stressed etc. Then make a plan on what you can do instead when you're in that situation again. Also, check your motivations for quitting. It's going to be a long journey but keep in mind why you're doing it. Support will always be there. Good luck and please keep us posted.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My #1 reason for going back every single time. Hanging out regularly with someone who smokes. I like to smoke, that's the problem.

    Now I'm wondering which cousin that is up there... I think it's Teresa :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd just like to say that I've seen your shop on etsy and on zibbet.. I think it is a brilliant idea! Also, I am a smoker on the brink of quitting as well.. I quit smoking about 10 years ago and it lasted for 7 years. Then, I stupidly picked up the habit again, and have been smoking for the last 3. My smoking is out of control, I smoke almost 2 packs a day and I hate the way my house, hair, and car smell. It's really driving me nuts! I am also in recovery from alcohol. I am 120 days sober, and I am hoping that if I can quit that, I can quit this too. How about I join you in your effort? I have 2 smokes left, and I think I won't be going to the gas station to get more. I'll support you if you support me! www.zibbet.com/thewetstone

    Jess

    ReplyDelete