Follow Me on Pinterest

Wednesday, June 16, 2010


Ohhh look at all the cobwebs! Ok, so it's been a while since I wrote. Life happens.



Recently I took 2 trips. One to the Dallas area for a baby shower and another to Fort Walton Beach, FL to see one niece graduate and to meet my other niece's baby, my great-niece! If you're thinking, "hey didn't you just say you're losing your house in the last post?", you're right. These trips were paid for with miles :D But that's not the point of the post.

Two trips in around 30 days and 6 flights (no direct flights from Newark to Fort Walton Beach).

And I don't like to fly.

There are two ways you'll get me on a plane.

1. Xanax - next to the computer, Xanax is one of the best inventions EVER. If you've never taken it, the best way to describe the effects is that it makes you not care. Some people say it turns off your brain. I can't say it turns off my entire brain, but it quiets down the part that thinks scary thoughts when flying. I take one sometimes before we leave the house to settle me. Then I take one as we board. I often think it's more of just having it to take then the actual affects of the medicine.

2. Put my kids on a plane. I'm not a "helicopter parent." I encourage my children to try things and have fun and explore. But even with Xanax I can't grasp the thought of putting the kids on a plane before they're 16 or so without a parent. Hell, when I was in some airport this trip I saw a news story about 2 kids getting mixed up. The girl was supposed to to Boston & the boy was going somewhere else, but the boy ended up in Boston & the girl in the other location. The kids were 8! I'm not judging parents that do it, it's just foreign to me, like the phrase "too much garlic" LOL

Oh and even on Xanax, I can't sleep on the plane. Seems like everyone I fly with can, but not me. So I amuse myself by looking out the window. Oh that's the other thing, have to have a window seat. Unless I'm about to pee my pants, I do NOT get out of my seat! Because the flight could be as smooth as a baby's bottom, but as soon as I get out of my seat, BAM turbulence! HATE TURBULENCE! I think it's because it reminds me that we are in the SKY and that there is 5 or so miles of empty space between us & Earth! LOL

So I amuse myself. If you hear the click of a camera shutter on a plane, more then likely it's me taking pictures out the window.


This is one of my favorites. We were coming back from California for my sister in law's wedding. I think it looks like an alien landscape.

So even though I don't like to fly I still do it. I will not let my fear keep me from seeing things I want to see. I've flown back & forth to different parts of Florida multiple times, Myrtle Beach, California, Dallas, and St. John, Newfoundland. Some day I want to go to go Europe, at the very least England, but I'd like to see Italy, France, Ireland and Scotland too.

And in closing, let me tell you, the two flights home were the smoothest I have ever had. I wanted to tip the pilot when the flight was over!

No comments:

Post a Comment