Follow Me on Pinterest

Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Easter is for Little Ones


Let's face it, the whole Easter Bunny deal and baskets are for little kids. Sure it's fun giving baskets to everyone, but the little ones are the best.

(Disclaimer Of course the whole meaning of Easter is religious, but I'm not religious at all. So if your idea of celebrating Easter is spending all day at your house of worship, that's awesome. But that's not how we do it here. We celebrate Spring and the Easter Bunny. We're very honest with the kids about how the holiday came about, but we don't celebrate the religious aspect of it. )

I have an 11 year old son and an 8 year old son. Older one doesn't believe any more, but the younger one does so we play it up for him. Even the 11 year old gets in on it for his little brother. We dye eggs & some years we do an egg hunt. This year we didn't do an egg hunt at home, but more on that later. We try to make it as fun as possible!

This year though we went "a-visiting". First to husband’s grandmothers house. She's getting old (83) and recently broke a bone, so we packed up the car & went to hang with her and hubby's family for a little while. Grammy is such a wonderful person! Then off to my Jewish Aunts house for Ham! LOL

Yep, we celebrate Easter at my Jewish Aunts house. She just LOVES the holidays and like me, any reason to get together is a good reason!

We don't care about how the food looks or tastes, we just like to sit around, possibly drink and enjoy each others company. Usually my dad says something inappropriate and my brother is almost always running late. But eventually we all end up at the table enjoying each others company.

This year it was so nice outside that we ended up spending most of the day on the back porch. The ham dried out and the asparagus got mushy, but no one cared it was all about being together.

After a few drinks, my aunt & I decided that we are celebrating the Spring Passover Bunny and henceforth it will always be called the celebration of the Spring Passover Bunny!

That way we cover everyone and still can do the fun things about each holiday. Like Easter egg hunts! My Aunt and 2 cousins (27 & 29) hid a ton of plastic eggs for my kids and my niece (nephew was home sick). She fills them with candy and little toys, this year she managed to find a bunch of the Silly Bandz. Considering the kids range in ages from 6 to 11, it's hard to find something everyone likes, these fit the bill!

Ok maybe Easte.. I mean Spring Passover Bunny isn’t just for the little kids after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment