Follow Me on Pinterest

Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Why Clothes Shopping takes ALL DAY

I do not love clothes shopping.  I know that is just cause for me to lose my woman's card, but I'm just not a fan of clothes shopping.  I refuse to go clothes shopping with anyone else. I just do not have the patience. 

However, since I have lost 61lbs over the last 2 years, combined with the fact that I have not been this thin in 11 years, I need new clothes.

So occasionally I will hit the stores and buy 1 or 2 new things.

Even though I am still overweight, I look a lot better so I care about how things fit now, this requires a trip to the dressing room each and every time I buy something new.

And it's not so much I don't know what size I am, it's more about the issue of Vanity Sizing.

Vanity sizing, also known as size inflation is used to refer to the phenomenon of ready-to-wear clothing of the same nominal size becoming larger over time.

I understand why companies feel like vanity sizing is a good thing, but honestly it just sucks.  A person that can buy a shirt at one store in an XL or a shirt in another store that is a M, will pick the M ever freaking time.  Hence Vanity Sizing.

But it is out of control.  
For example...  This shirt, that I got at Old Navy, is a medium (10/12)

It fits well.  I have just started back exercising so I still have a muffin top (my husband HATES that phrase) no matter what  I wear.  I have bought several shirts at this point that are Mediums that fit perfectly.  

But then I have this shirt, 

As you can see, it's a Large.  If anything, it's more snug then the Medium.

From when I was at my heaviest, I bought this shirt to wear when I work out.
*Side note, when I first bought this shirt, I used to wear a very tight shirt underneath to smooth out my stomach rolls.  Love seeing how it hangs on me now*

As you can see, it's a 2X.  

But, so is this one I got from the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame almost 2 years ago. 


Can you understand now why I hate clothes shopping??

So then next time the woman you love is gone at the mall all day long, don't think she's just sitting around drinking overpriced latte's.  She standing in a dressing room, looking at her reflection wondering WHY she can buy a medium in one store, but the medium in this store makes her look like she's trying on toddler clothes!

2 comments:

  1. Honestly. I think men have it easier; waist size and leg length. Simple. Us, not so much...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Barb I remember reading a news report that they're even victims too. Those 32's are really 34s!

    ReplyDelete